How to buy a Patterdale Terrier Puppy.
Buying a Patterdale terrier puppy is not always an easy thing to do. There are not a lot of patterdale terrier breeders in the world and even fewer in the USA.
Here are some suggestions on how to find a Patterdale terrier breeder and then pick out your patterdale terrier puppy.
When I was first introduced to patterdale terriers it was in Brazil. There the dogs were used to keep varmint off the farms that were cut deep into the Brazilian jungle. As you might imagine there are a lot of critters living in the jungle there and farmers need to protect their crops and live stock.
While on a friends farm there he had quite a few pit bulls and then I saw what I thought was three small pit bull puppies. And, I asked the owner “Hey those are kinda weird looking pit bull puppies! Whats up with them?” The owner laughed and told me those are not pit bulls they are like mini pit bulls they are called a patterdale terrier.
After spending a few days with these great dogs, I knew I had to get a patterdale terrier puppy for myself!
This is also why I created this site to help more people find quality patterdale terrier breeders. Click Here for a list of Patterdale terrier breeders.
I think it is a good idea to start out local when looking for a breeder. It is best when your puppy doesn’t have to be flow to you. It just makes sense that a puppy would prefer a car ride with their new owner than to be off a lone on a an airplane ride. That said many people buy their patterdales from far off breeders because local ones can’t always be found.
- Keeps dogs in the home as part of the family – or outside in high quality kennel runs
- Only breeds one or two types of dogs and is well-informed about the breeds. Breeds other hunting or game dogs.
- Doesn’t always have puppies readily available but looks after a list of interested individuals for the next available litter. Not a puppy mill.
- Has dogs who appear happy and healthy and don’t shy away from visitors. good energetic dogs.
- Shows you where the dogs spend their time-in a thoroughly clean, well-maintained location.
- Encourages you to spend time with the puppy’s parents-at the absolute minimum, the pup’s parents are on site so you can see them.
- Has a strong relationship with one or more nearby veterinarians and shows you individual records of veterinarian visits for your puppy. Many breeders who hunt also do their own shots.
- Offers direction for the care and training of your puppy and is available for assistance once you take your puppy home
- Provides references from others who have purchased puppies from their website.
- Feeds high quality “premium” brand pet food or raw food diet.
- Is actively involved with local, state, and national organizations that specialize in Patterdale Terriers or good breeders might also compete the dogs in conformation trials many are put on by the International Earth Terriers.
- Encourages multiple appointments and wants your entire family to meet the puppy
- Provides you with a written contract and health guarantee and allows plenty of time for you to read it thoroughly; the breeder should not require that you use a particular veterinarian.
- Doesn’t try to push you to buy or make ridicules claims about the parents abilities or skills.
Click Here for a list of Patterdale terrier breeders.